Thursday, May 2, 2013

Unsung Hero

Lately, I've been talking A LOT about some of the complicated pregnancy issues I've been dealing with.  Numerous family and friends have been so supportive and encouraging.  They tell me things like, "You have a wonderful attitude through all of this," and "We admire your strength."  These compliments help me to keep going, and I greatly appreciate them.  However, there is an unsung hero in this story.  While he has received some credit, I feel he deserves so much more.  I want to take a moment to "sing" his praises.

My wonderful husband, Big M, has been the glue keeping my little family together and functioning.  He has been, and continues to bend over backwards taking care of me, our daughter, our pets, and all of the other household duties and responsibilities such as cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry, and paying the bills.  And all of this has been no easy feat, because my husband is disabled and suffers from a chronic disease.  He is worn out and exhausted.  He has migraines daily.  He stumbles, trips, and even falls in getting these tasks accomplished.  Again, he is the melody that makes our song soar.  My attitude and strength pale in comparison to what he has been giving. 

I have a honey-do list a mile long of all of the "little things" Big M has done, on top of completing the "big things" that are necessary.  He brings me water.  He gets my vitamins.  He serves my meals.  He drives me to all of my doctor appointments.  He ventures out at all hours of the day and night to supply my cravings.  He helps me shower.  He shaves my legs.  In my weaker moments, he has helped to dress me.  He rubs my back.  He massages my legs and feet.  He brushes my hair.  He wakes and sits with me in the middle of the night when I have pain.  He rubs my belly when I have incapacitating gas.  He's let me cry.  He's made me laugh.  He's up and down, back and forth throughout the day helping me and our daughter - who has a daddy-do list of her own.  Once again, this list goes on, and on, and on.  HE IS THE MAN, AND THIS MAN IS MY HERO!

While I have a great attitude about all of this, Big M's has been superior, by far.  Not once has he complained, though I see the strain and toll this complicated situation has put on him.  I am blessed to have married by best friend.  I am blessed to have an incredible husband who loves me with all of his heart; for better or worse, in sickness and in health... 'til death do us part.  Yes, this love will go the distance.  One day at a time, such as the time that passes with a complicated pregnancy.

[Babe, I love you, more than words could ever express.  THANK YOU for all you do.  You are amazing and significant in every way.  I deeply cherish you for all you are.]

No comments:

Post a Comment