Thursday, May 23, 2013

Family Focus

Tonight was Family Focus night at the NICU; this was my second time attending with my husband.

From 6:30 to 7:30 PM every Thursday, the NICU and Progressive Care units get together for a little shin-dig.  Pizza and cookies are served.  Nurses and doctors gather around, and families come in to talk about (our) experiences with having preemies and life at the hospital.

What a wonderful experience this group has been so far!  It is comforting knowing that my husband and I are not alone in our situation.  There are other families out there going through the SAME EXACT THING.  We are able to share our experiences, we are able to learn, we are able to cry if needed, and we have laughed a lot.

I am delighted to know that I am not the only mother struggling to pump.  Most of the other moms are in the same boat I'm in... and can't fill a bottle yet.  They have been discouraged just like I was.  But like me, they all continue to give it their all.  No stone will be left unturned.  We are mamas on a mission: In search of El Dorado, A.K.A. Liquid Gold.  One mom was the anomaly: she is pumping 40 bottles a day!  She has so much excess she's donating it to other mothers in the hospital!  Go Sista!  (Dang... forgot to rub elbows with her, lol!)

Tonight we had a guest speaker.  She went through the same thing I did, with the hematoma and the bleeding.  Her son was born at 25 weeks.  They, too, rode the NICU roller coaster.  Her son is now 8 years old, and playing every sport imaginable.  They've certainly had their fair share of ups and downs, but life is manageable.  (Noteworthy: She, too, didn't like the sight of an IV placed on her son's forehead.)

Hearing her story and meeting her son, well, it was faith affirming.  Their story inspires hope.  Their story also taught us a lot, especially in the realm of life post hospital.  I never would have thought that our child might be on oxygen at home.  I never would have thought our child might have to come back to see pulmonologists, cardiologists, or neurologists, etc.  I sort of pictured taking home a healthy baby boy sans complications/challenges.  I sort of pictured all of the complications happening at the hospital.  But again, it's nice to have a reality check.  I like to be prepared, and a little heads up is always a perk.  However, at the same time, I'm gonna pray that Little Man doesn't have to deal with any of these things after discharge.  I'm gonna claim taking home my healthy, bouncing, baby boy.

I am so incredibly impressed with this hospital and the team that gives care to my son... and to the rest of my family.  I am confident in the staffs' abilities and can rest at night knowing Brennan is in the best capable hands.

We are respected.  We are informed.  We are constantly checked-up on.  The team is patient and kind.  They are uber caring.  They are vigilant and pro-active.  My list goes on and on.

We are so grateful and appreciative of all being done.  Too blessed to be stressed!

"Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass."
 ~ Psalm 37:5  

No comments:

Post a Comment