Thursday, May 2, 2013

Not Again!

Tonight's plans of staying home, lounging in the recliner while my hubby soared through our evening routine solo (for the most part) and then watching a little tv together, were thwarted. 

A little back-story: This morning I woke up to incapacitating gas - for the fourth time during my complicated pregnancy.  The intense pain and pressure kept me from moving for the better part of two hours!  The pain eased up after the second hour, but the pressure remained.  This time, the gas was different from all of the others.  My belly remained super firm throughout the day.  And even though I could go to the bathroom and break wind, pardon the expression, the pressure never let up. 

After a few more hours passed with no relief, I called my doctor's office and asked to speak to a nurse.  I explained everything to her.  I told her I'd had regular bowel movements every day this week.  I told her I was drinking lots of water and even took Metamucil just in case I was constipated today.  I also took a hot shower to see if I could get relief.  Nada.  I mentioned I felt silly for going in for gas.  But for peace of mind, I went in to the doc's office anyway to make sure there wasn't anything else occurring that I wasn't aware of.  While I was waiting to see the nurse, the pressure changed.  It was no longer constant.  The pain gradually contracted and released.  Contracted and released.  Yep, I started having mild contractions.

The nurse sent me to the hospital, my third visit in the last month.  Not again!  After I checked in, the nurse in the triage unit hooked me up to all of the monitors.  My contractions were about 3 minutes apart, and on a pain scale of 1-10 ranged 3-4 for me, personally.  Boy were they sharp at times... yet thankfully, not unbearable.  I drank down two cups of water.  Gave a urine sample.  And waited.    

While I waited, my mother left a dinner party to come get my daughter for the night.  And my best friend gave up studying for her final exam to come sit with me so my husband could go eat dinner.  Too bad I wasn't allowed to eat.  I had a hankering for a big, fat, juicy steak.  (Thank you, wonderful ladies, for lending a helping hand tonight.  Your kindness will never be forgotten.)

Finally the doc came in and checked me over.  The baby's heartbeat was still healthy and strong.  My cervix was not dilated.  Some clot was removed.  Aside from the mild contractions, everything else looked great.  They didn't need to give me any meds to stop the contractions; they eventually slowed on their own.  I declined a heavy pain pill, and said I would just take a Tylenol at home.  Then I was discharged.  Doctor's orders were to continue to rest, and call in if anything changed.  Also, I was told to expect more contractions of increasing degree, throughout the rest of my pregnancy.

Once again, I am thankful to still be pregnant.  I am thankful that despite all of my preggo woes, my little man is still just as healthy as can be.  It is frustrating, knowing I am a high risk pregnancy, yet not knowing what will happen and when.  All of these hospital visits are alarming in the moment.  And then we are sent home into the unknown, to continue to wait and see.

I will continue to focus on all of the positive aspects of my pregnancy.  I will continue to pray for the health and safety of my baby boy.  I will continue to take things one day at a time.  And by golly, we'll make it!  Keeping faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment