Friday, May 24, 2013

Finding Laughter

They say laughter is the best medicine, and I couldn't agree more.  It is far better to laugh than cry.  Who wants a puffy, snotty-face anyway?  Not I!

Over the last several months, my husband and I have been dealing with a complicated pregnancy, the pre-term birth of our son, and our 2.5 year old daughter who doesn't quite understand everything that's happening.  On top of all of that, we continue to deal with my husband's disability and being out of our normal family routine... things just aren't easy right now.

We could let the stress get to us, but we choose to find laughter in our daily lives.  Here are just a few things we've been laughing about lately:

Last night at our Family Focus meeting, some of the mothers and I were able to laugh about the medicines we received in the hospital and how they made us feel. 

Most of us were on the Mag Drip (magnesium) to try and stop our labor.  Magnesium makes you feel extremely hot.  Like the type of hot you get just before you throw up.  Or the type of hot you get when you feel like you are about to pass out.  The nurses said it would make me feel like I was coming down with the flu, and might even make me nauseated.  I felt like my body was on fire, I was so hot.  My cheeks wouldn't stop burning - and that was really irritating.  Sheets off and a cold wash cloth didn't even help.  I needed an industrial sized fan to work for me.  An ice bath... something!  The next morning it gave me the dry heaves, but fortunately I never vomited.  For some of the mamas it made them feel like their heart was racing... and they did vomit. 

Morphine made me feel like my heart was racing.  It also gave me the shakes.  (But after the shakes and heart thumpers, boy did it help me relax and fall asleep easily.)

And then there was some other nasty little pain med they pushed intravenously.  It started with an "S."  I hated that drug and will never let anyone give it to me again.  If only I could remember what it was.  It totally F*ed me up!  I felt out of control (and I don't like feeling out of control.)  I was out of my mind... tripping if you will.  Seriously, I would hallucinate.  I would imagine people talking to me that weren't there.  As soon as it was pushed through my line, I instantly felt tipsy.  I also felt like I was wearing a pair of those beer goggles!  My eyes were rolling... it felt like they were sloshing back and forth in a bottle of beer.  Everything was blurry and I couldn't see straight!  That also made my heart race.  And it gave me a headache.  Also, when I tried to talk to Big M (my hubby), my lips would be moving but sound wouldn't come out.  Next time, I'm sticking with morphine.  I'll take the heart racing without the crazy, thank you.  I'm just glad I can laugh about it now.  The only thing that made me feel better while riding this wave was closing my eyes and breathing in the oxygen they gave me due to... yes, decreased oxygen levels.

Now let me tell you a funny little anecdote about my daughter... and my beloved breast pump.  Due to our open room in my temporary digs, Little M has witnessed me pump on several occasions.  When ever she sees me bust out the tubes, cords, funnels, etc., she will ask, "Is it time for you to pump again, Mommy?"  I'll say, "Yes, McPhearson."  Once I get going, she asks, "Can I see your nipples?"  So, I move my hands slightly out of the way, while trying not to spill my milk supply, so she can get a good look.  (We don't shy away from explaining things to our daughter.)  I'll never forget what she said next, after she got a good look.  "Mommy, your nipples are moving!"  Yes, baby girl, that's what happens when pumping. 

One more story that had me rolling.  Last night, after our visit at the hospital, Matt and I walked to the parking garage and hopped in our car.  He cranked the ignition and the headlights automatically came on.  I happened to look up at the concrete wall in front of me, and I saw two perfect round circles spaced evenly apart.  I started laughing uncontrollably.  Matt looked at me, looked at the wall, and back to me... and he started laughing too.  I love that he knows me so well.  I didn't have to explain anything to him.  He knew that what I saw was the soft glow of two perfectly round breasts on the wall, and how it was time to break out two perfectly round funnels and accompanying attachments... and start pumping again.  We were laughing hysterically all the way through the parking garage.  I would tell him to stop laughing because it was making me laugh even more, and that it hurt to laugh so hard.  And naturally we would laugh even harder.  It felt like I was going to bust my stitches I was laughing so much.  Nothing like a good belly roll.

We have been under a lot of pressure lately.  Our situation has been heavy.  It felt good to laugh hard enough that it hurt.  And it was a good hurt.

Turning frowns upside down!

No comments:

Post a Comment