Saturday, May 4, 2013

Are We In The Big-Leagues?

I saw this status update shared on Facebook: "Motherhood is the big-leagues of self-sacrifice."  My wheels slowly started turning...

What does it mean to play in the big-leagues?  The Free Dictionary online says, "to be involved in something of large or important portions... (such as) playing a professional sport at the highest level."

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, self-sacrifice is the "sacrifice (giving-up, surrendering) of oneself or one's interest for others or for a cause or ideal."

On John Piper's website, www.desiringgod.org, Rachel Jankovic's blog "The Real Life of the Pro-Life Home" goes on to say that "In our culture of self-gratification, to embrace selfless motherhood is a revolutionary act.  To see the sacrifice and rejoice in it.  To recognize that the cost is your own life, and to willingly lay yourself down."  (Now, she talks about abortion and being Pro-Life in this article.  You already know that I personally could never end a life, but it isn't my intent to discuss abortion today.)

I want to talk about the concept of motherhood being a big-league, sacrifice.  For me, it appears to be a ballgame in which I play on one side of the field.

I actively chose to become a mother; I made a conscious decision to be a mom.  Having children was my field of dreams.  My first pregnancy was not an accident, nor was it by chance.  My second (current) pregnancy was also discussed; a plan in the works.  My husband and I pursued the path of parenthood for two years until our dreams finally started coming true. 

In a way, I just can't look at motherhood as a sacrifice, or self-sacrifice.  I didn't give-up myself, I decided to share myself.  I didn't give-up my time, I decided to share my time.  I didn't give-up my body; my body is a road map of my life that tells the story of every heartache and triumph... every stress and every blessed moment.  I have not given-up my own interests, I continue to pursue them every day. 

I selfishly chose to be a mother - wanting to bestow my ideals, morals, values, and character on my children - and am gratified and satisfied with my decision daily.  I wanted to create a family and have a support system built around me.  I wanted to create traditions and share memories with my offspring.  For me, it wasn't a selfless, revolutionary act.  Choosing to be a mom isn't a new-age idea.  I did not give up who I was before I became a mom, after I had my first child.  My child became an extension of my existence, making my life all the more enjoyable and rewarding.  I am a better person because of my daughter (and future son.)

Here's where I do see motherhood as a self-sacrifice: I would gladly lay down my life, choosing death, if it meant my children could live.  I would gladly take a bullet for my children.  I would gladly walk through fire for my children... if it meant their existence would continue in a healthy and safe manner.  That is true self-sacrifice: giving one's life for another.

From a professional standpoint, I do see motherhood as being a job worked in the big-leagues.  It is one of the most important roles in the world, to be performed at the highest level, deserving of all the lime-light.  I live to teach my kids, to help them develop and grow, to guide them and correct them.  Raising a person to become a successful and positively contributing, productive member of society is no easy feat.  It is the most difficult, most time-consuming, most precious job in the world. 

Too bad we don't receive the salary of a pro ball player.  Too bad we don't get vacation time.  Too bad we don't get sick-days.  Yes, motherhood can be hard.  But for me, it was a challenge I was willing to take on.  I had a good idea of what I was getting into.  We work over-time, and don't always get a lot of credit.  But again, it's not a sacrifice.  It's what must be done, and it is work worth performing.  While it would be nice to have a massive yearly income based on said workload, the physical and emotional rewards of being a mommy are far greater than any paycheck could ever provide.

Are we in the big-leagues because of motherhood?  Yes.  Is it because of self-sacrifice?  I don't necessarily think so.  Side note: not all mothers play the game with dignity and grace.  Not all moms care for the game at all.  But for those who do care, and who choose to take the time to hone-in on their skill and craft... their profession, well, we are in a league of our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment