Friday, May 3, 2013

Synchronized Walking... With My Dog

A friend of mine is having difficulty conceiving a child with her husband, and recently started a blog to record their journey together.  Fingers are crossed because things are starting to look up for them! 

Anyway, her post today was about their "other children" - their four-legged, furry, friendly pups.  She asked the question, "Can dogs really sense things?"  Of course, she already knows the answer to this... YOU BETTCHA!  As proven by her sweet "babies."  Her post, and the comment I made on her blog have inspired my above title... and the following:

Takota, for all intents and purposes, is my second "child."  Big M and I adopted him into our family nearly 10 years ago.  He is our brindled pup - sweetest, friendliest dog you will ever meet.  He loves to hog the sofa and stretch out, belly up, with ears flopped out to the side... and yes, sometimes even his tongue hangs out too.  He has adjusted to life beautifully with his younger sister, our daughter M.  He checks up on her in the middle of the night, and showers her with kisses when he thinks I'm not looking.  Tako doesn't even mind her crying and screaming at times (hello, terrible two's!)  Oh, and he just loves it when M shares her peanut butter sandwich... when SHE thinks I'm not looking.

Takota knows I'm pregnant again.  He can definitely sense something is up, something is changing in our family unit.  And I know he senses the complications that are accompanying this pregnancy.

Before I found out I was pregnant, it was life as usual for our puppy around the house.  He did his own thing and minded his own business... except for dinner time... then he minded our business, lol.  When I became pregnant again, Takota started paying more attention to me again.  And before the first sign of trouble, his ears perked up and he lifted his head to my side... and then the bleeding began.

Now Takota stays at my side most of the time, and minds me more than he minds himself, especially if I'm having issues... which he always seems to know before I do.  And when I get up to move, he's already moving with me... as if we are synchronized walking.  He knows I need him, and I love that he knows. 

Family and friends have been very supportive through this time, offering words of encouragement, which I greatly appreciate.  But my second child has been with me every step of the way, comforting me in silence... both during the day and through the late hours of the night.  To my furry child, Tako, I must also give thanks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment