Monday, May 20, 2013

Breast Milk Bandits!?!

Making the choice to breastfeed one's baby is monumental in my book.  It requires patience, persistence, and dedication.  And let's face it, your breasts will never look the same.  To me, one of the most important bonding times between a mother and infant is when they are able to nurse.  Not caring what your boobies look like afterwards - priceless! 

When you have a premature baby, and are not allowed to hold your baby or nurse your baby due to his gestational age, you have to be committed to pumping your milk in a simulated fashion.  Pumping, while it gets the job done, is not exactly the same as nursing.  And whether you nurse from the breast, pump, or do a little bit of both, getting your milk supply to come in can be frustrating and discouraging at times.

Choosing to provide your baby with "liquid gold" is a time-consuming task.  It can be hard work, but is so totally worth it!  And it's definitely rewarding... so many benefits for both mother and baby.  No mama should ever fear that what she pumps - an irreplaceable product which her little one needs so much, especially in NICU - will be stolen from her precious bundle of joy.

My hubby and I live a good distance away from the hospital where our son Brennan is admitted.  A charity organization has been generous enough to take us in, and give us a place to stay - a block away from the hospital - so we may remain close to our son.  The house is very peaceful and relaxing, and has been an absolute blessing in our lives.  However, tonight we discovered there are Breast Milk Bandits among us!

I just cannot believe someone would steal breast milk from others!  (Yes, I know breast milk is considered "liquid gold" and is a valuable resource... but come on!)  The hospital receives donated breast milk from moms who have an excess supply or no longer need what they have pumped, and all the bandits need to do is ask the nurses to supply their baby with the donated reserve.  [Get over yourself!  Suck up your pride.  Don't be embarrassed if you can't produce breast milk.  You won't look bad asking for donated milk.  It doesn't make you less of a woman or mom.  Stealing - that makes you less of a woman and mom!]  Stealing breast milk from infants in need who fight for their lives in the NICU is like stealing presents from poor kids at Christmas.  It's horrible and pathetic!  

Most families here are going through a difficult and stressful time.  And some of the mamas here are having difficulty getting their milk supply to come in.  To have what little bit you are able to pump and store stolen from you is just awful, and makes me sick to my stomach.  "AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!" 

Fortunately, I wasn't hit by the bandits earlier.  I'm hoping that after I pump, the supply I did have in the community fridge will still be there.  I can only imagine how these mamas are feeling.  I know I would be pissed!  I believe some changes should be made to the system here at the house to give mothers more peace of mind.  In the meantime, until such changes take place, I will be storing my milk supply in a cooler in my room.

I believe in this charity organization, and feel that in no way should this unfortunate event reflect poorly upon them.  I am sure they will be revising procedure soon.  I believe the individuals who committed this crime are responsible, and it's a shame they had to ruin the day for some.  So, if I talk about the house in future posts, don't let this one situation make you frown upon them.  Frown upon the bandits.

My heart goes out to the mamas and babies affected by the bandits.  Prayers uplifted.




No comments:

Post a Comment