Sunday, June 12, 2011

In The Garden


Oregano (in above photo): "Oregano is the spice of life." -- Henry J. Tillman


Lemon Balm (in above photo):


Rosemary (in above photo): "As for Rosmarine, I lett it runne all over my garden walls, not onlie because my bees love it, but because it is the herb sacred to remembrance, and, therefore, to friendship; whence a sprig of it hath a dumb language that maketh it the chosen emblem of our funeral wakes and in our buriall grounds." -- Sir Thomas More (1478-1535)


Basil (in above photo): "The King of Herbs."; "I pray your Highness mark this curious herb: Touch it but lightly, stroke it softly, Sir, And it gives forth an odor sweet and rare; But crush it harshly and you'll make a scent Most disagreeable." -- Charles Godfrey Leland


As my husband and I live in a rental, we are not at liberty to plant an actual garden [this is a sadness]; however, we do have a small potted garden of herbs on the back stoop. All references to "in the garden" henceforth simply refer to the garden of mother nature. Someday when we own a home I will have a veggie and herb garden! I'll have pretty flowers planted too. Then I can really put my green thumb to work. And my grandmother Juke would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment